Thursday, September 11, 2008

Happy Birthday to..... ME!

It is amazing how your birthday gets less and less exciting, the older you get. As a child I would start my countdown weeks before my actual birthday. Yet this year, it was not until yesterday that I realized that my birthday was tomorrow! Oh well.

I was thinking this morning about the birthdays I have had in my past. Most notable ones, etc. The first birthday I can remember was when my family still lived in West Valley City, Utah. I was turning five. I remember a little party with my friends, and my cake. That is about all. The next birthday I can remember pretty clearly was when I turned eight. Both sets of my grandparents were there for that birthday. I was excited because I was getting baptized, but, was generally bummed that all I got for my birthday was a set of scriptures and a coloring book and crayons. I realize now the importance of that gift, and still have that set of scriptures tucked carefully away in my cedar chest. I remember my twelfth birthday very well. It was when my family lived in Mesa, on Ivy Glen St. Those were the greatest years of my life yet. I had my best friends invited. Amy, Stacie, Angela, Kristen, and Jon. (I had a huge crush on him, my entire childhood =) )

And lastly, my 20th birthday. September 11, 2001. I was living at home, engaged to David, who was living in Tucson at the time. It was about 6:30 am when my mom woke me up, took me into her room and showed me the events happening on TV. The towers were going down, USA was in a state of panic. My thoughts were panic, sadness, and fear. It was not until a few minutes later that I realized that this was how I was going to spend my birthday-- and future birthdays for the rest of my life. That whole day was full of news watching, crying, and fearing the worst. Not the greatest birthday, I have to admit. And even to this day, every time I tell someone when my birthday is, I get a "Oh, how sad." or a "Ahhh, that's rough". BUT, to make light of this heavy subject, it was my birthday, before it was a terrorist attack, and everyone around me sure remembers when I was born! Not many people miss my birthday. And everyone flies their flags too!

This morning I was woken up to all five of my sweet children, and my great hubby singing "Happy Birthday to You". Then they all climbed up in bed with me and started sharing the orange slices candy that is a big tradition in the Peterson family. You can't have a birthday, or give a birthday gift without including a pack of orange slices candy inside. =) It's a fun little tradition to keep going with our kids. I would take and attach a picture of my loot I have gotten so far, BUT, like I mentioned before, my camera bit the dust, and is not fixable. SO, as a birthday present to myself I plan on getting a new digital camera this weekend. Any suggestions on good cameras?

We are headed to Mesa this weekend to do a Costco run, a temple session, a birthday breakfast and dinner, a play, and a family BBQ. I am very excited about going home. There is nothing like returning to your hometown, and your family. I sure miss it there. All of my siblings and parents live in Mesa, except for me. It is hard to miss out on the little things, the family home evenings, the Sunday dinners, etc. And yet, after it is all said and done, and we are driving back toward Snowflake after a visit to Mesa, it sure feels good to be going back home to Snowflake.

1 comment:

Stacie said...

Happy Birthday Valerie! I'm thinking about you today. I've got it marked on the calendar and wanted to be sure to send a special message. It's true that your birthday seems to get more overlooked the older you get (and maybe that isn't a bad thing), but I still hope today is special. I'm glad it started off well, and it sounds like you have a fun weekend planned! Enjoy it all. I love you lots, and am so glad we are still in touch today. Happy Birthday to you!