Monday, September 22, 2008

The last day of summer

I am very sad to see summer go. I spent most of my life living in Mesa Arizona, where it is notoriously HOT. And that is how I like it. In fact, I would rather be hot and sweaty, then even a little bit cold. Being raised in a hot climate has made the move to a cooler climate a big shock. In fact, the idea that things are alive in the summer and dead in the winter (which is the normal everywhere but the valley) was a learning experience for me. I am a valley girl to the core, especially when it comes to the weather. I enjoy my flip-flops or barefeet, my shorts, my swimming pool, and my suntanning (or more correctly....burning).

The weather in Snowflake is changing pretty quickly now. It is getting too cold to leave the windows open at night, and the high is only getting up to about 75 or 80 now. I am watching our garden die, our trees beginning to turn, and my lush green grass fade. How sad! I began sorting though my kids clothes this last weekend, and took all their shorts, sandals, and swimsuits and packed them away. I replaced them with jeans, long-sleeved shirts and jackets. Oh well, seasons will come.

Now, before you all think that I hate fall and winter, let me defend myself. I think the changing leaves of the trees are beautiful, and makes for great fall frolics and picnics. And one of my favorite past times involve snow. I really enjoy snow skiing-- and some my favorite memories happen to be in winter. So yes, I love how snow looks, I love to play in snow, I love to visit snow...... BUT I HATE TO LIVE IN IT. I dislike driving in it, shoveling it, bundling up to go anywhere....

So as fall creeps in and then brings winter, just know that I will be counting down the days to spring, and then to blessed summer again!
Pictures: Nathan and Aubrey playing in the sprinkler. Summer 2008. (top)
Emily, Aubrey and Nathan building a snowman. Winter 2007. (bottom)

1 comment:

Stacie said...

Sometimes I forget that there are parts of Arizona that have seasons! You actually get snow, I can't believe it! :o)