Sunday, September 14, 2008

My b-day trip to Mesa

It was a fun time in Mesa this weekend! I always enjoy our trips back home. We left Snowflake Friday afternoon, and got to Mesa in time to get ourselves ready and the kids dropped off at babysitters (it takes TWO babysitters for my little bunch=) ) before my mom and dad, my sister Heather and her husband Jacob, and David and I headed out to Macaroni Grill for dinner (yum!) and then off to the theatre!
We went to Hale Centre Theater where we saw the murder mystery, Wait Until Dark. It was a great production, good actors, neat stage set-up and a wonderful evening out for my birthday!

We returned home, picked up the younger kiddos from my sister Heidi's house (thank you again!), and got to bed pretty late, because when Jay woke up at Heidi's while putting him in the car, he must have thought that it was morning.... It was 12:30am before he went back to sleep! Speaking of sleep... my girls favorite thing to do this trip was to climb into bed with grandma and grandpa at all hours of the night. It was definitely a interesting trip when it came to nighttime!
Saturday started early (like always..) and all the girls went out to an early breakfast at Crackers (yum, again!) and back home. Then all the boys met up over and Jacob and Heathers house to play Halo on the X-Box. They always plan Halo parties, every time David is in town. We all gathered later in the afternoon for a family dinner with BBQ chicken sandwiches, spinach salad, fruit salad, and jello (for the kids!) I can always count on a great meal, just like mom used to make!
We were ALL there, Justin and Heather and their 4 kids, Heather and Jacob, and their 3 kids, Heidi and Wynn and their 2 kids, and us with our 5 kids! That is 14 grandbabies, all under the age of 8! It is a loud, yet fun, energetic house! Here is a picture of the whole group, taken in April.

We were planning on leaving after the family dinner Saturday, but decided to put off our drive until Sunday morning. We left this morning and got back to Snowflake at noon. All in all, a great trip. Just a few hangups....
Having a dog is like having another baby. Don't let anyone tell you different. And right when you finally get yourself attached to the animal, he gets deathly ill. No joke..... Now our little pup Max has not been feeling very good for a few days, and so Friday morning, after I tracked him down and before we hit the road to Mesa, I ran him to the vet, just to make sure he was okay. He was not. He tested positive to Parvo. Yeah, it is a yucky, deadly decease. We had planned on taking him with us, but not being deathly ill. So, we shut him in my parents laundry room, and he laid in his bed the whole time. He was not eating, barely drinking, and vomiting often. The vet gave me the responsibility to give Max an IV, (yes, an actual IV, with the bag, tubes, needle...) And I am overly happy to report that he is feeling MUCH better today. He is still quite skinny, but he is eating, playing, drinking. Its a good thing. =)
Our trips are always a good time for David and I too. We have been blessed and are lucky enough to have all five of the kids very good travelers. Yes, Aubrey struggles with motion sickness, (just like her mommy), but they all sleep and travel well in the car. David and I can usually count on all of them to sleep the first hour to two hours of our drives, which allows for good adult conversation. So I feel refreshed, prepared, and excited about the future. A good weekend, and an overall fun time for all!

1 comment:

Stacie said...

What a fun trip! I can't believe there are that many grandkids under age 8! It was SO fun for me to look at your whole family...I have such fond memories of your family. What a crew! Your parents must feel very blessed. I'm glad you got to be with your family to celebrate your birthday. Sounds like it was a good time. Hope your doggy gets better soon.