Thursday, February 18, 2010

FOUR months later....

Yes, I know... miracles do happen, and I have finally decided to update my blog...and add pictures.

So, hmmm, where did I leave off, and what have we been up to the last four months of our life? I will try and go in chronological order, more for my brain then anything.

THANKSGIVING: David and I packed up the kids, and took a four day trip up to Ben and Amy's house in Provo. We had so much fun visiting, laughing and trying out our first Thanksgiving dinner alone, together. It turned out really good, and I think that Amy and I did a pretty darn good job. Here is the only picture I have of our weekend there on my jump drive:While we were up in Provo we went to the Salt Lake temple for a session. It was so good to finally go to that temple. My parents were married there and I honestly could not remember the last time I had been there, at temple square. After our session, Ben, Amy, their two boys, and my kids all walked around temple square, looking at the Christmas lights. It was incredibly crowded, but very beautiful too. It was a great trip and we all had a good time together.

The morning after we had driven all day home from Provo, Nathan came in , SUPER early (like always) and said, "The hallway is wet, and I didn't spill anything". I, of course, rolled over and went back to sleep, cursing the dang dog in my mind. David, being a morning person, and me NOT, got up to see what he was talking about and to start a fire in the wood stove. Well, Nathan was right. Long story, short.... our water heater exploded in the night and was pouring water down the hallway, into the bedrooms and the main bathroom. It was a NIGHTMARE. I made phone calls all morning, and gratefully, our insurance company was super quick and very nice and everything was sucked up and drying out by noon. So, in the end, we got a very nice sized check for replacing all the drywall in the area affected, and flooring for the entire house! Gotta love that.

Christmas was nice this year, and got to visit a lot of family and see several people that we don't normally get to see. Here are a couple pictures that were part of the season...
You have NO IDEA how long it took me to get five kids, aged 2-7, looking, semi-smiling and staying still enough to not be a blur! I chased my kids around for about two hours one night trying to get a couple decent shots of them all together. This one is by far the best, and I really like it. I guess patience pays off....eventually.
New Years came and went, and so did most of my resolutions...I figure that as long as I am trying to be loving, and my kids are alive, dressed, fed and well, I am doing just fine, and I should stop trying to be some "Super-mommy", because I'm not, and that is okay.
I got 100 Peruvian Lillies for Valentines Day, and they are VERY pretty. I gave David lots and LOTS of candy, and he is still making his way through his large bag of candy. YUM.
Me and the kids are currently in Mesa for the second time this week. We came last Saturday for my niece's baptism, and are now here AGAIN, because my sweet hubby, my father-in-law, and brother-in-law are busily working on getting my flooring in. HALLELUJAH!!! Having 5 kids running around on freshly laid tile is not ideal, so David kicked us out and told us to stay away for a few days. So we are back at my parents house, again. I am eagerly awaiting Saturday afternoon when we get to go home to a beautiful finished floor....something I have not had since right after Thanksgiving.
Our house has been a huge project, but I can finally see a light at the end of the tunnel. It will be so nice to enjoy my new kitchen, fresh paint, new flooring, and my family and life getting back to normal. (if it is possible for us to be normal... I mean, good grief, who in their right mind has 5 kids in 5 years!!!!!!!) =)
Well, its late, and I'm tired. So, I am going to climb into my bed... the same mattress I had all through junior high and high school. It is a comfort, coming home.

4 comments:

Stacie said...

So good to see a new post from you...I'm still checking! And it was so good to see you over Christmas. I only wish it could have been longer! Hope you get the chance to post more often. Good luck with the new floor!!

Christine said...

Hooray for a new floor! I'm glad you're all doing well.

Amy said...

Hey Val! Good to see your update. I have more pics of Thanksgiving I'll have to send you. Glad your house is getting finished! What a relief. You are a trouper! love, Amy

Mel's Family said...

I hope you have a fun and safe trip. I love your update and I can't wait to see your house...the finished product! Hopefully Amy and I can come visit you next week. See you soon.