Thursday, January 8, 2009

Individuality

Thought I would treat you all to an update. One thing I have learned lately, is that those few resolutions I made known a few posts back take up a lot of time. Not that I am a lazy person, but, keeping the house picked up all the time seems to fill up my time more then I thought it would, especially the kitchen.

So, yes, the plumber came, hooked up my sink, disposal, and dishwasher. YEAH!!!!! I now have a completely functional kitchen, and I have loved it. Never take advantage of a working sink, that is for sure! Tuesday, my parents came for a visit/work fest, and ended up hanging my vent hood, flipping my fridge hinges, painting all the cabinets, cleaning my bathroom, among other things. They took us all out to dinner at a great Mexican restaurant in Heber (a 35 minute drive), called Los Ramos. YUM! It was good to see them, and always a productive treat when they come. My kitchen looks so good, and I am super proud to say that I have kept it clean and sparkly, as of yet! It feels so good to have my life back on track, and a sense of normalcy again. My bathroom is now a bathroom again, my family room is a family room again, my laundry room is back to being a laundry room, and most importantly, my kitchen is a kitchen again!!!

Nathan has made a smooth transition back into the swing of school again. It is nice having that pattern of routine return after the Christmas Break. He brought home his grades from last semester yesterday, and not surprisingly, he is doing great. I am so proud of him and how he just loves to learn. What a great boy, I am a very lucky mommy to have him.

Davids work is picking up again, which we are grateful for. It was a pretty slow, scary December, but looks like it will be a pretty good January. So, it has been nice having him back to going to work on a regular basis again. It will help with my sanity. =)

Lately my four year old Emily has turned into quite the T R I A L. She doesn't listen well, talks back often, and otherwise drives me crazy on a regular basis. She sure can be a sweet little thing, but has such a tender, sensitive personality, that ANYTHING will set her off. I don't know what to do with such a personality, I have never had that type of personality. It is a learning process every day to see "what will work" for her. EVERY child is different, especially in this home. Case is point:
  1. Nathan is a laid back, easy going kid. Loves to learn, curious, cooperative, happy.
  2. Aubrey is a wild ball of fun, pent up energy. Independent, stubborn and loves to be touched, held, and moving at all times. (she gets that from me =) )
  3. Emily is quiet, tender, sensitive, and surprisingly has a defiant side.
  4. Betsy is just happy, all the time. Pretty laid back, and very content.
  5. Jay is a good kid. All around great little boy. Very curious and into everything lately.

And it is my job to figure them all out and adjust my parenting skills every second, for each individual child. Being a mommy is tiring work, no doubt about that. I sure love it though.... especially bedtime =).

3 comments:

SJ said...

I have to agree with you about how keeping things clean takes up alot of time! I go nuts trying to keep things up! So, sometimes I let it go... enough about that.

Your descriptions of your kids were cute. I'm Nathan's primary teacher now, and he's a cute kid -- very smart -- I enjoyed him. :)

Mel's Family said...

Hey Valerie...I hate to break it to you but the personality
"trials" don't get a whole lot easier just because the kids get older! All 4 of my kids ages 25,24,21 & 17 have totally different personalities and I never know exactly what is going to set them off! Good thing we love them! I am so excited that you have your kitchen back! yay for you!

Russel and Marcie Sipes said...

Wow great job getting your kitchen done. That must feel sooo good.

I do know what you mean about every kid is different and what works with one will not work with another. Riley is VERY stubborn so time outs DO NOT work with him. Raegan on the other hand if she knows I am mad at her and I say go sit in time out---she cries like a baby and sits in time out and when she is done crying she comes out and is totally happy again. I wish we could see into their little minds and know what is best for them.

You are a good mom and have very cute and happy kids.