Sunday, January 4, 2009

Let it snow...

This morning we woke up leisurely, and found that it just starting to SNOW! Now, just so y'all know, Snowflake has had terrible luck with snow this winter. It will dust us with a 1/2 inch or so and then melt off quickly and leave nothing but lots of mud to be tracked all over my carpet. So, I thought to myself, "This won't last long", and well, almost 8 hours later and it is still coming down. There is now at least 6-8 inches on the ground, and more falling every minute. I thought for sure it would be freezing outside as I bundled my kids up for our trek up the hill to church, and yet, it is warmer then you'd think. I love the way that it looks and makes me feel. Fresh, quiet, clean snow...all the possibilities.

BUT, I am not looking forward to the early morning drive tomorrow (if they don't end up canceling school) getting Nathan back into the swing of first grade again. He keeps asking me if he will be in second grade now! He has really had a hard time being away from school for so long. He is looking forward to tomorrow. So am I....but for other reasons....

We finally decided to call in the big boys, and hired a plumber for the kitchen sink. We ran into some problems that tend to come with 60+ year old kitchens. And so tomorrow, the plumber is coming, and hooking up my sink and dishwasher. And then, WE ARE DONE!!

Well, not exactly (we still have the vent hood to hang, cabinets to paint, walls to touch up, fridge door hinge flipped, and a spice rack cabinet to build), but I will have a 100% functioning kitchen again. And I can't wait for my life and home to get back to "normal" again. No more dishes in the tub, tools all over the place, furniture re-arranged.... I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!

Church went really well today. We got there on time, (thanks to the fact that our meeting is now at 11 am!--yeah!) and got the kids all arranged with their new seating assignments (best idea EVER). The spirit was strong, the kids were really well-behaved--- minus a little episode from Emily ={, and primary was a good time, like always. I really like my calling. It is great to be back in primary, but be removed from all the work it involves. I go, sit, and play the piano, which I love to do anyway, and let everyone else just tell me what they want to hear me play. All this practice has done me good too, because I feel like I am getting better every week. Plus a bonus, I have caught up on my scripture reading, because during sharing time when I don't have to be playing, I sit at the piano and read my scriptures, lesson manual, Ensign, etc. I has done me really good.

David's parent's are up in Utah right now at the baby blessing of Ben and Amy's baby boy. I sure wish we could be there. I have missed having them around to hang out with. David and I miss all those game nights, brownies and funny stories! And I want to see my nephews, Isaac and new little Hyrum too!

On to other news... David took me out on a date last night. We dropped the kids off at Eva's and headed into Holbrook and ate at El Rancho, and then went over to a store and bought me a calender for next year. I got a Arizona Highways one, with some great beautiful pictures of the best state in the USA! It was definitely better then the other options, scantily clad women hanging all over motorcycles or kittens (I HATE cats). Yuck.

David is SO proud of his new toy. He bought himself a late Christmas present; a gun. He got the SKS. It looks pretty cool,with its bayonet and everything. And he is happier then a school boy and ready to fight off anything or anyone. He loves that gun! He has been cleaning it, reading up on it, talking about it, and just smiling across the room at it for a few days now. So we are now owners to three guns, A BB gun (if that even counts as a gun), a Henry .22, and a Russian SKS. Who would have ever thought that I would have guns???!!!??? Not me.

I have a pretty busy day tomorrow. I need to get the rest of my Christmas down, do about 15 loads of laundry (yes, I meant to type 15-fifteen), and get my kitchen cabinets primed. My parents are planning on coming on Tuesday to help with the final touches (yeah!), so that inevitably means that I need to clean my entire house too. Busy, busy, busy... no blogging tomorrow or Tuesday, I guarantee it.

3 comments:

Russel and Marcie Sipes said...

I'm glad that you are liking your calling. I got to hear you today because Riley gave a talk. It sure does make a difference when you play music. Thanks.

Ben Peterson said...

Val, I don't know why your home page on your blog says we haven't looked at your site for a month, because we at least look at it weekly, just so you know! I enjoyed catching up on your recent posts since our computer was incapacitated by Isaac shortly after returning home from the hospital. But now it's up and running. I love the Family pic by the Christmas tree and the picture of the kids decked out in their Christmas Sunday clothes. Jay sure is growing up, as they all are. I'm so happy for you to have your kitchen functioning again. Hopefully all went well with the plummer today, and with your parents tomorrow. I have pics of Hyrum, but don't have your email address. Let me know where you want me to send them and I'll shoot some off to you. Happy snow! Love, Amy

The Petersons said...

Amy, YES, I would love a picture of that cute little Hyrum! sallywoggin81@yahoo.com
Valerie =)