Saturday, April 18, 2009

Risk, gardens and"clumb-ing" Pikes Peak

I feel like it has been forever since I made a post. My computer is acting idiotic and so even the thought of trying to blog was pretty unappealing. It hasn't gotten much better, but I will push forward through affliction and record a few things anyway. =)

David's brother Ben and his wife Amy came to town, and we have had a blast with them and their two little boys. The kids have enjoyed playing with thier cousin Isaac, who is almost 2, and I have enjoyed holding little (or should I say BIG) Hyrum who is only 3 months old and weighs nearly 20 pounds already!! He is one chunky baby- I never had chunky babies, so I was probably overly fasinated by all his rolls and chins. =) Inevitably having Ben and Amy around means lot of game nights with treats and late nights with little sleep. It has been late nights (nearly midnight) all week long, but it is all good because we shared lots of laughter, stories, talking, and played all sorts of games. They left back to Provo this morning, and they will be missed. Looking forward to June when they come again!

Other than that, on Thursday I went with Aubrey and got her registered for kindergarten next year. YEAAHHHH!!!!! She enjoyed finding a few friends from church, and really did well with the teachers. She sat quietly, participated, and even whined that she didn't want to leave when the night was over. That is always a good sign that she will do alright. She kept calling Highland Primary, 'Nathan's school'. I told her that soon it would be her school too. She liked that... and the cookie on the way out the door. =)

Today we got about half of the garden planted. We have 8 raised boxes, and got 4 filled and planted today. There was lots of tilling, sowing, and mixing involved. We have our carrots, peas, beets, radishes, swiss chard and butternut sqaush planted. The tomatoes, corn, zuchinnis, and a few others are saved for sometime during the week or next weekend. I am excited because this year I get to plant rasberries and blackberries. YUM. =)

Here are a few shots of our progress today.....
David planting the radishes. The chives in the bottom corner of the box have not died in nearly 3 years. They survive the winter and come back every spring. It makes it easy for needing a green onion or two...


This is what Aubrey calls 'helping'. We asked the kids to help pick up the bigger rocks that the tiller kicked up, and so she went inside, drew a flag, taped it to a stick and put it in our pile of mulch. Well, it makes for a funny story... She has struggled quite a bit today with listening... yet again, she seems to struggle with it everyday. ={

PS- Part of the title of this post is from a classic John Wayne film called 'The Sons of Katie Elder. The scene goes something like this: Brother #1- I clumb Pikes Peak. Brother #2- You mean you "climbed" Pikes Peak. Brother #1- Yeah, thats what I said! I clumb it! At least I thought it was funny...and it is supposed to go along with the flag atop the mulch hill. Have a great week!

No comments: