Wednesday, August 18, 2010

My thoughts

I feel like I need to update my blog, yet I am having a hard time thinking of anything tremendously entertaining, interesting or noteworthy to write about. But I realize as I type this that most of my time and efforts are spent on things that really are not that entertaining, interesting, or noteworthy.

Motherhood is like that. It sometimes feels very unappreciated, undervalued, and most often, pretty dang monotonous. I wish that it were different. I wish I could report that something BIG AND IMPORTANT has happened, but it just hasn't.

I find myself pressing on daily, doing the things that need done, and rarely find time to do those entertaining, interesting or noteworthy things that make for good blogging or story telling.
My kids are all happy, healthy, and progressing well. They all have been getting along pretty good, doing fantastic in school, keeping up with their homework, and keeping me busy.

That is what my day is generally filled with. Kids. Nothing more, nothing less. I know that one day I will find that I miss these days that are so monotonous, but it is hard to see that when day in and day out I am busily running around doing things that don't seem to make a big impact on anyone. I think that is what motherhood is about.... Finding joy in watching your kids grow everyday, and finding joy in the sacrifice it takes to be a mommy.

6 comments:

Christine said...

I think you hit the nail right on the head. And one of these days when they're off on their own they'll learn to appreciate all we do. ;) They're so worth it.

Amanda said...

Sometimes I feel like I am in the mommy, cleaning house rut too. But we are doing fantastic things everyday aren't we. Our kids are pretty awesome and that is thanks to us in part.

Eva said...

Amen! You are making an impact. Your kids will grow up to be happy, confident adults because of the stable environment that you are making for them. Good work Val!

Stacie said...

Thanks for your thoughts. A post that says, "We're truckin' along!" is still an update...and I'm glad for those.

It is certainly tricky to find excitement in our day-to-day regular life. There are moments, though some days they are hard to notice because there is SO MUCH TO DO.

Glad you're all doing well!

klutzy k said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YU0aNAHXP0

was handed a written copy of this today and, well, here ya go. :)

Amy said...

One of my cousins writes a blog somewhat professionally (in other words, it's popular enough to receive advertisements and she gets a small stipend for them). I haven't read it much until yesterday. She's a great writer and is very bold and almost brass about somethings. But I loved a post she wrote about being a stay-at-home mom. One thing she wrote really uplifted me because it finally put into words how I felt about being at home instead of working. (It's kind of long, but I hope you enjoy reading it!

"I could go out and get a ‘real’ job. I could use my brain (which used to be very good, I want you to know). But I have chosen to “stay-at-home.” Not because that is all I am good for, or because I think that is a woman’s place, or because I am afraid of the working world or because I feel pressure from church or friends or family.

I stay-at-home because a) I have a husband who makes enough for us to live on (but not to own a second car), and b) my kids deserve me. I am the first to admit that I am not the best mom, and that there are probably nannies, child care centers, what-have-you that are better at crafts, guided-free-play, and Cooking in the Kitchen with Kids, but I am their mother, and as long as it is my name they call out when they need something, I’ll be there to negotiate. This is not a devaluing of me, it is a high-valuing of them.(Quite possibly too-high, especially when they’re tired and whiny, but that’s another subject)."