Saturday, August 21, 2010

I admit it...

My name is Valerie Peterson and I am a yard work addict.

I grew up in a home where my dad took immaculate care of our yard. He still does. He trimmed it, edged it, mowed it, pulled weeds, etc., EVERY Saturday morning. Well, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

I LOVE to mow a lawn. Maybe because as a child my dad was very protective of his yard and mower. I always wanted to help, but he was in his dominion, and I loved to watch him carefully mow his lawn in perfectly straight rows. I still find myself out on the front porch, watching, as he does his yard work, when I go to Mesa to visit. I love the smells, the sounds, everything about it. In fact, in my marriage of almost 9 years, David has only mowed our grass maybe three times. MAYBE... I just don't let him, it is my dominion now! I call it" my quiet chaos". Everything is silent for the time that I am behind that mower. I can't hear my kids, can't hear the cars drive by, can't do anything but push that mower in a straight line. It is a great time for me to reflect on things. To plan the rest of my week. To focus on improving myself.

I have to admit that my yard is not nearly as nice as I dream, and not as nice as I want it to be one day, but I can bet that if you drive by on a Saturday morning, I will be pushing that mower with a smile on my face.

3 comments:

Russel and Marcie Sipes said...

I sure wish I shared your passion for yard work. I just don't. I do like to mow though. I only do it once in awhile. I think I just figured out why Russ likes it--the whole can't hear the kids or cars or wife. Yeah I'm pretty sure that's why.

Stacie said...

Cute! I guess I never knew this about you. In our marriage, we have taken the roles that Matt mows and edges while I weed the multitude of tree planters. I'm not sure how it got this way, and I'm really not sure it is fair! Maybe I should claim the mowing. :)

Eva said...

Come mow mine! It's a crazy workout, especially if your mower doesn't have a drive of it's own. It's like pushing a stroller though sand, and it takes HOURS! Feel free to come knock yourself out any day! Bring the kids! I'll watch 'em!