Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The piano and the egg

This morning I made the kids eggs for breakfast. I was feeling rather nice and allowed the kids to help me crack the eggs into the pan. We all enjoyed breakfast and Nathan and Aubrey made their way to school. I got breakfast cleaned up, the younger three dressed and ready for the day, and began my day. Next thing I know, I wander into my family room, where Jay and Betsy are both holding eggs. I scolded them, quickly returning the eggs back to the carton in the fridge. Then I turned around, facing my back door and piano and saw broken eggshells on the floor, at least 6 of them. I fumed angrily, grabbed a rag and began wiping egg off my floor. This is not an easy feat. I started wiping near my piano, when I noticed, in the corner a broken eggshell, but no real signs of the egg. In a panic I began looking for the egg... Well, I found it. It was IN MY PIANO!! Jay, and possibly Betsy, had broken the egg ON MY PIANO KEYS!!!!! The egg had seeped down between the keys.

I love my piano. It is not a super nice, fancy piano, but it is mine, and I love to play it. I use it often to calm my nerves and refer to the music I play on it as free therapy. So when I saw the egg, nearly dried up, and all over my keys, I just about cried. I quickly ran to my computer, and Googled "how do I clean under my piano keys?" Well, after about a half hour, and about 10 different video clips, I felt confident enough to dismantle my wonderful piano.

All it took was eight screws and 2 bolts and I began removing the keys. It was not nearly as difficult as you would think. I got the keys out, laid nicely in order on the kitchen table(they are also numbered #1-#88) and began the task of vacuuming out 40 years of dust, mice nests (yes, you read that right) and random surprises like a missing credit card from 2 years ago, a key, papers, 21 cents in change, and of course the egg.

That is one of two mice nests I found, right under middle F, G and A. According to the Internet, pianos are quite popular mice residences. One guy on a Google video even went far enough to say that out of the 300+ pianos he has refurbished, he found mice nests and/or signs in over 80% of them, yeah, just about threw up. But, then again it made me feel better knowing that it was pretty commonplace! YUCK.

So I am happy to report that my piano is now cleaner then yours. =) I washed each individual key before I put it back in, dusted the entire thing better then its been done EVER, and vacuumed out the insides everywhere I could possibly reach.

So what did I learn today?? .....Other then don't let toddlers with eggs near a piano?!?!

I realized how much I love my piano. I have always loved it, but since this afternoon, I love it more then I ever thought possible to love a piano. As I stood there, wiping each key with care, I felt like I better understood the scripture 1 Samuel 16:7; for the Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Well, it seems like Jay gave you a blessing, your piano needed a good cleaning and Jay made it possible. It's nice that you took joy from it and made it a postive part of your day. and BTW, mice, yuck! Brian gets the same thing at his work, people bring in 4-wheelers they haven't used in years of that have been sitting all winter long, and they have tons of mice nests built in them, he says it's a pretty gross job especially when the mice are still alive, didn't look like your mice were still in there, another blessing!

Stacie said...

Yikes! I can imagine your frustration! You learned a lot about yourself, though...not only your love for your piano, but also your ability to take apart, clean, and assemble your piano! You're amazing! I'm glad it worked out okay.