Monday, October 25, 2010

MEMORIES MONDAY

I have decided that it is hard to come up with a memory to write about. Don't get me wrong, I have many memories, but zeroing in on just one has proven more difficult then I thought. So, as I was trying to hone in on said memory, I had a few thoughts. I could write about music, I could write about high school, I could even write about things like children's births or my wedding. BUT, the thing that kept coming back to me, was him...
George. Bubba. Bubbastibum. Bart. Bartman. Just. Justin.

He is by far my most very favorite brother in the whole wide world. I am sure that the day I came home from the hospital as a babe in arms, he was disappointed. I am sure that a few of my family members were, to be honest. They wanted a baby brother. A boy. And I am not. BUT, that never stopped Justin from teaching me the ropes. He has always been a very good brother. I have been wrestled, thrown to the ground, spat and farted on, all by this great guy. Even as he was torturing me with the ways mentioned above, I also knew, deep down he really did care and love me.

There are a few times in my growing up that affirms this truth. I was 12, which would have made him 17 or 18. We were outside 'shooting hoops', when his friends pulled up and asked him to go with them somewhere. He looked at them, looked back at me, and told his friends no. He stayed home that night with me. He and I played basketball for a while more, and I was so excited that he WANTED to be with me. I have no idea if he even remembers that day so long ago, but I will never forget.

The next experience was when I was packing up, and moving out, headed to college. It was a stressful time, and I was feeling every kind of emotion possible. I was thrilled to be on my own, scared to death to be on my own, happy to be leaving, sad to be leaving.... you understand. So in the midst of tearing my room apart and loading things into the back of my dads truck, the phone rang. It was my brother, who was now married with twin toddlers at the time. He knew that things were a bit stressful and overwhelming for me, and asked me to go with him to Fillibertos. It is a dirty, dive of a Mexican joint on Main Street in Mesa. But the food is to die for. He had taken me there quite a few times, and out of the blue, after about 4 years of not going there, he asked me to go with him. I said yes. I don't hardly remember anything about our conversation, but I do remember that Justin took time out of his already busy life to help and be with his little sister, and I will forever be grateful for him.

The upper picture (when we both looks so young), was the night before he left on his mission. I was 13, he was 19. It was a hard and sad time for me. There was a lot going on in our family around the time he left on his mission and so this picture is particularly special to me. The last night of the "normal" that I had grown up in. Just a couple months after he left, my twin sisters left for Ricks College, leaving me an 'only-child', and then a couple months after that we moved to Colorado. I love looking at this picture, because I can see just how much he loves me.

The picture above is not a flattering shot of Justin. In fact, I could probably dig up about a dozen more pictures with him pulling this exact face. It is his 'ugly face' that he has perfected over the years. I took this shot of him in June of this year. Without showing you one of these pictures, you couldn't really get a feel for Justin, or his humorous personality.

So with that I will say, I love you George. And love that you are my favorite big brother!

2 comments:

Mel's Family said...

Ok, so I have to say this was such a sweet post, it actually made me cry. That's awesome that you have a brother like that.

Amanda said...

Sweet! Looks like a fun big brother. Who could ask for anythign more?