Sunday, October 24, 2010

SPECIAL SATURDAY and SPIRITUAL SUNDAY

It is two for one today. I really did want to, and was planning on making a post yesterday, but that didn't end up happening...

So yesterday, for our SPECIAL SATURDAY:

Because Nathan and Aubrey were both away (sleepovers), and we had a pretty late bedtime the night before (thanks to a last minute Wal-Mart run), Saturday MIRACULOUSLY started with a bit of sleeping in. The whole family were all in bed and sleeping soundly until 7:30 am. For those of you that think that 7:30 is early, may I inform you that 99.9% of days start around the 5:30-6am mark around here at the Peterson household. So yes, 7:30 am is SLEEPING IN. If you would have told me that in high school or college I would have died, and/or never had children. =)

So it was overcast and miserably cold in the morning. It felt cold enough to snow, and I was not to keen on that idea, and I am glad that it didn't end up doing so. Part of the reason that sleeping was still going on into the 7 o' clock hour was that our rooster didn't crow. We went out to move the chicken coop to another area where they hadn't scratched it to death, and the rooster was lying there, barely breathing. He must have gotten sick or something. ? So our dear, LOUD Speed Racer was laid to rest yesterday. Nathan took it pretty hard (Speed Racer was technically his chicken). So we had yet another lesson on life and death and animals. They all seem to be fine about it today, and I happily was not awoken this morning to a crowing rooster. So, R.I.P Speed Racer. It was LOUD while it lasted...

Along with the whole killing-a-rooster ordeal, we also harvested the last of our tomatoes. We wanted to catch them before a frost came and killed them all. The kids enjoyed helping and we got a large mixing bowl full of mostly green tomatoes.

David had a few things going yesterday. He helped set up tables and chairs for a funeral, and also went along with the elders quorum and high priests to cut wood for some of the widows in the ward. We are coming on cold here in the white mountains, and so I have begun to notice the smell of wood burning stoves around the neighborhood. Unfortunately our wood stove it still wrapped in a tarp on my back porch. We had good intentions yesterday to get some major work done on getting it back inside, but that didn't happen either. I don't know how many more days of 65 degrees inside my house I can handle. That furnace looked mighty tempting yesterday...

It was a pretty early bedtime (hence the fact that the night before was a late one), and a haircut for David, and that is how our SPECIAL SATURDAY ended.

On to SPIRITUAL SUNDAY...

Here in the Peterson household, Sundays are not considered restful, holy, peaceful, calming or any other synonym you can come up with that is supposed to define the Sabbath. I, in fact, muttered at least 10 times today about how much I hate Sundays. Not the church part (usually), but the morning that proceeds the church part. My house goes to shambles, my sanity hangs on the brink and my children are horridly behaved. I don't understand why the whole week can go relatively smooth, but as soon as it is Sunday, the kids all turn into little miniature devils. Anyone else have this problem??? please.

BUT, church really did go pretty good. A small meltdown by Jay, but other then that, I actually got to kind-of listen to the speakers today! I love the fact that my kids are getting a bit older, and can almost sit quietly at church. And the really bright side of it all is that it will only get better! Hopefully...

At church I heard a neat quote from one of the speakers about temptation. I will paraphrase, because I don't know the exact words. "Sometimes temptation is not a bad or destructive thing, but just a little bit of shade." She spoke about a herd of cows that lost a few calves, because they were enjoying a bit of shade not far from the path. Following the 'straight and narrow' is not always the easiest or most comfortable thing, but it is worth it, so we don't end up lost or distracted by the 'little comfortable' sins. I ended my worship service today with choir practice. I really love to sing, and love the peace the music brings to my heart and spirit. It is a wonderful way to end a sometimes stressful Sunday.

I think that I am going to go get my kids to bed a little bit early tonight. I probably could, because our church time (1-4pm) is right in the middle of nap time. I would love a quiet Sunday evening with my husband, but he is gone home teaching and being the worlds best Elders Quorum President alive. I like that he loves his calling. Okay, maybe 'love' is the wrong word, but he sure enjoys and magnifies it all the time.

1 comment:

SJ said...

Your Sundays sound like mine! I'm always a frazzled wreck by the time I get to church. I've said the same thing to Jim about not liking Sundays, and he always takes it the wrong way like there's something wrong with me, but it's kind of a stressful day with kids cooped up in the house. Anyway, I feel guilty for writing this, but glad I'm not the only one!