Monday, November 1, 2010

HALLOWEEN PARTIES

This has been fun weekend full of Halloween parties, for both the kids, the adults too! Although there was no costumes allowed on Friday, each one of the older kiddos had 'Halloween Enrichment' at school. I made Nathan and Aubrey platters of rice krispie treats, and Emily got apples with caramel dip (healthy snacks only in kindergarten, poor kids.) They had lots of fun at their parties at school and brought home bags of left-over goodies.

Friday night David and I dressed up in borrowed costumes (thank you Christie and Eva) and went to a very fun adult Halloween party thrown by some good friends in our ward. It was SO MUCH FUN, and TONS of laughs... We loved it, thanks for the invite!

Saturday was a busy morning, that led into a busier afternoon trying to wrangle up five costumes for our annual Peterson Halloween Party at Eva's house. It was lots of fun, watched a crazy movie called "Night of the Lepus", and we took the kids trick-or-treating around Woodruff (tiny town between Snowflake and Holbrook). It didn't take long, and gratefully, they have already eaten ALL their candy. I think I much prefer it this way. They ended up with about 30 candies a piece, and was given the 'all-clear' and ate it all. ALREADY. Way too much sugar for a weekend, but it is better then having over 15 pounds of candy, eating, trashing my house, and fighting over it for weeks.... (like last year.)

Sunday was another party. In my book at least! =) It was our Primary Program, so I had 4 out of my 5 kids off my bench, and out of my hair during Sacrament Meeting. I actually listened, felt the spirit and REALLY enjoyed church (after the Sacrament was passed, of course). Yes, for the first time in a LONG time.... The kids did wonderful, and both Nathan and Aubrey said their parts without help. Emily and Betsy knew theirs too, but opted for a little assistance. Thanks for all the hard work you wonderful primary presidency! I have spent many years being involved in primary programs, so I understand the stress involved. It was nice to sit in the audience, and enjoy from the other side this year!

I love living in a small Mormon town for a lot of reasons. And last night I discovered yet another reason I love living here...So technically Halloween was on Sunday. We know that, and although there were hundreds of trick-or-treaters on Saturday the 30th, there was NOT A SINGLE ONE last night. (We did keep our light off for good measure). I love that people are passing on to their children the value of keeping the Sabbath day holy. It made me so happy, and feel so safe to live in the wonderful town of Snowflake.

***My camera is FULL of pictures, yet I can't find my plug-in cord do-hickey.... When I find it, I will load this post up with pictures. ***

2 comments:

Russel and Marcie Sipes said...

We had so much fun too and are hoping to do another one next year.

All the kids did such a great job on the program. I was so proud of each and every one of them. I do wish I was enjoying in from the audience too.

Amanda said...

Yes the Primary Program was awesome. I hope your family wasn't interrupted when my kids brought all those treats over on Sunday. We had a bunch of family over for the Primary program and a family dinner. Grandma brought TONS of cupcakes and cookies for the kids to decorate, then she wanted to leave all of it here. So I said to the kids, go make plates of goodies and take them to the neighbors. LOL