Thursday, November 4, 2010

THANKFUL THURSDAY

Today I am extremely thankful for three things...

#1) Washing machines. I couldn't even imagine trying to wash all these clothes in a bucket outside, or with a washboard, or in a river. Although, back in the day when that was how laundry was done, they had far fewer clothes. That would be nice....

#2) Ibuprofen. With how I am feeling today, a couple ibuprofen are heaven sent. Just keeping myself dosed up on 'drugs' =), and I will be just fine...

#3) A good book. I have found a new joy in reading lately.....which may explain my messy house, and mountain of laundry! =) So for the past month I have been reading, A LOT. I am a fast reader, and can usually finish a book in about a day or two. I have been reading a lot of Nicholas Sparks, and am about to start the Chronicles of Narnia, and also want to read the Lord of the Rings, but I have had such a hard time getting through The Hobbit that I usually just quit before I even start (given the fact that The Hobbit is a prequel). Anyway, I am thankful for a good book... =)

*Can anyone out there suggest a good book, or series of books that are big, thick, and something that would take more then a day or two to read? (By the way, I refuse to read the Twilight or Harry Potter series. Witchcraft and vampires are not my thing.) I gotta find a good book that I can really get into, that will last a while. I love historical fiction, love stories (not dirty romance novels!), and science fiction stuff too. Any suggestions????

5 comments:

SJ said...

Books are my thing! And I've been reading more, too. I have a list of books I've read and recommend, so I could email it to you or here's a few to get you started:

Rachel and Leah : women of Genesis - Orson Scott Card - (Historical Fiction) - interpretation of the story of Rachel & Leah

Rebekah - Orson Scott Card - (Historical Fiction) - interpretation of the story of Rebekah who marries Isaac in the Bible.

Sarah : women of Genesis - Orson Scott Card - (Historical Fiction) - interpretation of the story of Sarah, wife of Abraham

Stone Tables - Orson Scott Card (Historical Fiction) - “imaginative and vivid interpretation of the story of Moses”

The Hunger Games trilogy- Suzanne Collins (YA SF-Fantasy?) - Love this book! “a gripping story set in a postapocalyptic world where a replacement for the United States demands a tribute from each of its territories”

Children of the Promise series: Rumors of War - Dean Hughes (Mormon Fiction series) - Fictional family set in 1940’s World War II era, very historical, and easy read.

The gates of Zion - Bodie Thoene (Historical Fiction Series) - “Ellie, a young American photojournalist in Jerusalem in 1947, becomes a pawn in a political chess game.” (I liked the subsequent books in the series better than the first -- good history, too)

These is my words : the diary of Sarah Agnes Prine: a novel - Nancy Turner - Set in Arizona Territory in late 1800’s . One of my favorite books!

Ok, so it's more than a few...

Christine said...

Have you read the Mitford series? I think it's by Jan Karon. It's a lovely little set of books about a preacher in a small town and the people he deals with.

I also finally made it through the Anne of Green Gables series a couple of years ago (the second book was a struggle for me), and was so glad I did! The last book was about Anne being a mom, and it really touched me. I loved it best.

Did you try the Eragon series? I'm not sure if you'd be into it. I loved them all, and I loved how fat the books are. I am so ready for the last book! There were a few things about them that bugged me, but I loved the stories. The movie was exceptionally lame, though, and didn't follow the story very well.

Stacie said...

I really liked a couple of the recommendations already made: Children of the Promise (by Dean Hughes) and the Mitford Series by Jan Karon. Loved them both. Also, Dean Hughes wrote a series subsequent to Children of the Promise, called Hearts of the Children, and I really liked that too. I'm sure you've been told this already, but you really should give Harry Potter a try. The writing is fabulous and you will be sucked in. And it doesn't feel too eery or "witchy" to me. I loved them. Gonna read them again soon.

Amy said...

I just got on after not checking your blog for a while and saw the kids' new school pictures! They look great!

I echo the recommendations of the Children of the Promise series and the Gates of Zion series. They are both about WWII. The first one is LDS historical fiction and the second is Christian historical fiction. I'm not a huge reader, and unlike you, I am very slow, but I've listened to both of these series in their entirety via books on tape/CD as I go about housework, folding laundry, etc. I love listening to historical fiction since it's easier to multi-task while I get to "read" a good book. Someday I hope I can be a better reader and be well-read. We'll miss you at Thanksgiving! Call sometime when you have a spare second (hee hee!).

Amanda said...

Try Anita Stansfield in the LDS section of the library, she has some great series books, I really loved her Legacy series and now I'm reading her Dickens Inn series.