Saturday, February 26, 2011

Hang on Sloopy!

Sorry out there to anyone that actually reads this blog. It has been neglected lately.

A couple weeks ago a wonderful man passed away. Davids granddad Pew died and left yet another sad hole in our families. I went through my highly unorganized pictures trying to find the ones I was looking for to post, and of course, I can't. I married into this family back when he was relatively healthy still and caring for his wife who was in her last years. He was very accepting, loved to give me hugs and scratchy kisses. He had a witty sense of humor, and VAST knowledge of all things Arizona and Mexico. I swear he has traveled every square inch of this state and Mexico and can tell you things you never knew. He and his wife joined us once to Rocky Point where he and Nathan (who was 6 months old at the time) fell together. Nathan was loved and protected by that wonderful man, but Granddad Pew broke his hip as a result of that fall. His health declined from then on and he was never quite the same. He has spent the last 3-4 years basically confined to either his chair or bed. His memory has been fading with his health.

One of my last memories I have of him happened about two months ago. I stopped in Show Low to see him. I walked into his living room, he looked directly at me and said "Hey Valerie!" It has been years since he has called me or any of my kids by name. He smiled, hugged me and gave me a scratchy kiss. He seemed so happy to see me and the kids. His memory had come back clearly, even if it was only for a few minutes. Bittersweet. It was a wonderful thing for him to go. It was sad for me and David, and Nathan who remembers him the best, but really a happy day. Many changes are happening in the family now because of his passing. It will be interesting to see how things settle. I love that great man. I miss him.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Val-That was neat to read your post. I feel like I didn't even know Granddad at all, the way you describe him. You are lucky to have known him while he was doing better! I can't wait for the opportunity to see him again and get to know him without sickness or suffering. ~Amy