Tuesday, March 29, 2011

I made a promise

Last week I made a promise to the most important man in my life. I was on my knees in prayer when I made it. I was discouraged with my failings, with my weaknesses, with my lack of ability to have anything that resembled patience lately. I was upset and depressed about myself and all the things I LACK.

Then the epiphany came... Nothing good has come to my life for all the time I have spent on FaceBook and watching a particular TV series on NetFlix. I realized this, tried to come up with rules for myself and make excuses why it was "not that bad" and that it wasn't effecting my mood "that much"... Anyway, I lost the silly battle with the man upstairs , and I realized that the only way I was going to defeat my bad attitude/feelings/failings/weaknesses/lack of patience is if I stopped COLD TURKEY. I stopped visiting FaceBook (at all!!), and I have not watched another episode of that show on NetFlix (even though I was right at a BIG reveal, and I will always wonder what happened?!?!) It is not easy. The only thing I check online now is my blog and email. I will still get on NetFlix for the kids to watch their shows, but I really haven't.

The results?? My house is almost always clean again, my mood and focus is on my family again, my laundry is caught up again, dinner is on the table almost every night again.... I haven't felt a HUGE change. But those little things (which really are not that little, huh?) have made all the difference in the world.

Goodbye FaceBook and particular show on NetFlix, I will miss you, but it is WORTH IT.

2 comments:

SJ said...

I hear you! I've had similar issues, and that's why I gave up books for awhile (2 months -- which was a big deal for me!)

Sometimes you get too focused on things that are fun and a great escape, but it can also turn into an obsession that takes your focus away from family, house, etc. At least, that's how it seems to work for me :). Anyway, wow! Good for you!

Stacie said...

What a great accomplishment, Valerie! You are an example to me. I firmly believe that as busy mothers, we need regular "breaks" or "time-outs" from the daily grind of life; the trick comes in finding something that provides the break for you and is also uplifting or beneficial in other ways. What a blessing to get such specific counsel from your prayers. It sounds like you are doing great!

By the way, I sign in to Facebook once or twice a month--long enough to confirm friends and check the profiles of people I have had on my mind. Using Facebook this way is much more manageable than an everyday update. I don't need to know what all those people are doing everyday anyway! But I can't get rid of it all together because it has proven useful and helpful to me occasionally.

Good luck as you find balance and obey specific counsel from Heavenly Father. It is apparent that He is blessing you! Love ya!