Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Graff Poetry Slam

Nathans' school, Graff Elementary, put on a Poetry Slam on April 12th.  I got to go with my wonderful son, and listen to him perform a self-written poem, to the entire 3rd and 4th grade, and a gym full of parents.  He worked hard on his poem, practiced a lot, and did great reciting it, by memory, for the crowd. 
Waiting in the wings to perform.  He was so excited!  I took a video, but I can't get it to load!

A couple weeks later, I found my son in our local paper!  This is the group of 3rd and 4th graders that recited poems.  He is in the fourth row, 3rd from the right.  By the way, Nathan says he now feels so famous!  He pointed out that he was in the paper in Snowflake when he won the spelling bee, and now in Laurel with the poetry slam.  Cute kid....


Here is his SELF-written poem that he performed:

The Candlestick
By Nathan Peterson

Here's a present!  Take it quick!
Plus don't jump over the candlestick!
If you do, you'll get a surprise!
It might even blind your eyes!
Now I have to go, and remember,
Don't jump over the candlestick!

When I opened the present I found
A hypnotizing candlestick!
The hypnotizing candlestick
Hypnotized me to jump over it!
I found a bright glow, it filled the room
Soon I heard a big KABOOM!

I must have been blind, everything was black!
Then I bumped around and found something.
I flicked it on and on came the lights.
I woke, thinking what happened?
It must have been a dream!

I have spoken a few times with Nathans' fourth grade teacher, Mrs. Broyles.  Each time I have she always goes on and on about what a great performer and speaker Nathan is.  I am so proud to have my smart, happy, GOOD boy!  I am one lucky mama, that's for sure!

No comments: