Thursday, October 23, 2008

The Heber Cabin

In the past, the Barton clan have planned a summer camp out of sorts for all the siblings and grand kids. This year our family cruise landed about the time we would have done a camp out, so in lieu of that, we planned a cabin retreat in the fall instead. We all arrived on Friday during the day and evening. Now, if there was ever a place that was completely and utterly set up, that was the place! There was more food, bedding, supplies, port-a-cribs, blankets, clothes, etc. then I could ever imagine. In fact, if we hadn't packed a thing, we would have been absolutely fine. What a spectacular place it was! Seven bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, many open large family areas, a game room, the biggest kitchen I have ever seen! And that was just the inside! The outside had a firepit, volleyball court, large playground, and a zip line (this was a favorite for most of us!). Many hours were spent around the big kitchen table playing Settlers of Cataan and Ticket to Ride, and also outside playing badminton. It was a good time for all. The grand kids had fun exploring, staying up till all hours of the night, riding the zip line, and running wild through the large 5000+ square foot cabin.



Friday was spent picking out our rooms, settling in, and having a weiny roast outside while singing campfire songs. Aubrey treated us to her version of "I love to See the Temple", where she substitutes the words 'the temple' for My Heart. It was super cute! In this picture, going left to right, you can see Justin, Abi, Kyen, Heather, Shaylin's leg, Brenan, Aubrey, Nathan, my mom holding Betsy, and my dads arm. That was about half of the group. We totaled 24 people!

Saturday was filled with playing games, playing on the zip line, playing badminton..... hey, we just PLAYED, and played hard! We ended the day with s'mores by the camp fire, and baths for Sunday.

On Sunday we went to the local ward in Heber, and attended the 9 am Sacrament Meeting. David had to come back to Snowflake for Elders Quorum stuff, so I winged it alone. My parents were a great help, and half of my kids actually SLEPT through the meeting. It was pretty nice! We spent the afternoon relaxing, playing some more, and generally kicking back. Heidi, Wynn, their kids, and Jacob had to leave that night for work in the morning. After they packed up and left, we went on a little nature hike. My mom and dad passed out little flashlights for each kid. I know my kids just loved it and are still carrying around their flashlights!

Monday was mostly spent cleaning and packing up. We sat around a little bit, but not much. We all left by about 4 pm. It was a good weekend, and we all made some fun memories. By the way, Jay's hands are 100% again, which is great, and they healed up a lot faster then I thought they would! A few of us are starting to get bit by a little sick-bug. I am not looking forward to that.

I can't believe the week is nearly over! Nathan is back into the swing of school after having last Thursday and Friday half-days for Parent/Teacher conferences (Nathan is doing GREAT!!!!), and Monday and Tuesday off for "Fall Break". My washer is still not working, my kitchen is getting a major face lift in the next few weeks (more on that later!), and we are all surviving okay. I would rather have nothing spectacularly exciting happening, because that means everything is just fine.

1 comment:

Stacie said...

How fun! That sounds like a great time. I didn't know you guys are Settlers fans...we're pretty much fanatics! Glad you had a great time.