Friday, October 17, 2008

Jay's rough week....

Jay has had a pretty bad week. First off, he turned 10 months old on the 15th, and I can't believe that he is so big already! And this is how he celebrated.....

See his poor face? Ouch. Yeah, so Nathan decided to be "helpful" by basically dropping him on his face into his pile of toy cars and Lego's. Nathan felt terrible, and cried even harder then Jay. I wasn't happy, Jay wasn't happy, and some new rules were quickly made about carrying Jay. =)

On to this morning.... he decided to pull himself up on our wood-burning stove.... and yes, there was a fire inside it. I have never had a child even try and touch the stove, much less pull themselves up on it! He was screaming bloody murder, and I swooped him up, ran to the bathroom, soaked his poor little hands in ice cold water for about 2 or 3 minutes, slathered them in burn gel, and wrapped them up. I didn't even get a chance to really look at them. I called the doctor right after that. So here he is now......


We went straight into the doctors office, and the doc said that he had a second degree burn on his right hand and his left hand was burned, but not blistering. His ear also got a little burn, and a small spot on his head. I felt awful for letting my baby get burned, and told David that we will promptly be setting up a gate of sorts around the stove. I was happy that Dr. Dewitt was not upset with me. In fact he told me that my quick, responsible actions were what saved his hands from being burned a lot worse. He was impressed that I knew to do any of that.... I give credit to my mom, the registered nurse, for some knowledge that she passed on to me. So now Jay is sleeping soundly, looking like a boxer! Hehehehe =). He has to keep the "gloves" on for the next day or two, and then we have to keep some Neosporin on it until it looks completely normal, and not hot feeling.

This weekend will be fun; we are all going down to Heber to spend a few days with my parents, my siblings and everyones kids. My parents rented out a HUGE cabin and we are having our "family camp out"- which usually happens in the summer, a little late this year, in a cabin. I am looking forward to it. I will take lots of pics and have a post on it when we get back Monday afternoon! Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

Stacie said...

Oh no! Poor guy and poor Mommy. Good, quick thinking though. I'm glad your doctor was nice too...these days you're lucky you weren't investigated by CPS. Hope he recovers well.

Christine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christine said...

Poor little Jay! :( My little Michael burned his hands just before he turned 1. He was walking along and tripped and then caught himself with his hands on a wood stove. He got huge blisters on both hands. It was horrible. He still has a couple of scars from it.
There's nothing worse than a sweet baby being hurt like that. I feel for ya! Good job being so quick! You are awesome. So here I am sending much love your way and a thousand hopes that he will recover scar-less and quickly! :)