Sunday, October 26, 2008

My silver lining

I am in no way, shape, or form saying that being sick is a blessing; but today, it came pretty close. I am pretty much as sick as a dog. I have got the horrible chest cough, runny/stuffy nose, sore throat gunk. So, I took it upon myself and stayed home from church today. I always hate missing church, and really felt bad today because I have been hit and miss for the last month or so. For Davids sanity and sake, I kept Jay and Betsy home with me, given that it is their normal nap time anyway, so they slept almost the entire time for me.

So on to the "blessing" part of being sick. For the past few weeks I have tried, thought about it, attempted it, and failed miserably at getting around to finally watching the final session of conference. I was lacking the Saturday afternoon session, and I still hadn't gotten around to it. So I was resting comfortably on my couch, in my quiet house watching BYU-TV. And the first talk that came on happened to be one that I remember well from a year or so back, while my parents were gone on their mission to the Philippines, titled "Oh be wise", which is one of my moms quotes she always said while I was growing up. It made me excited, and grateful for a refresher. And lo and behold, the very next show on was the Saturday afternoon session of conference! I sat there in disbelief, said a quiet prayer of thanks for the opportunity to actually SEE it, and all while in a silent house. Heavenly Father was answering my silent prayers and righteous desires of my heart. I was all choked up, and relished every talk. What a great blessing in being sick!

Sometimes we get bummed and angry about things in our lives, like getting sick, and yet I think that being sick was part of the plan, so I could be able to stay home from church and enjoy fully the messages of the Saturday afternoon session. It taught me a lot about how there is always a silver lining if you take the chance and look for it.

1 comment:

Christine said...

That's great! It's always nice to have a quiet minute, this is doubly nice! I'm glad for you. :)