Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Our "new to us" kitchen remodel

About a year ago my mom and dad told me that they would be re-doing their kitchen, and that they were offering their old cabinets and appliances to us! I quickly said yes, and we have been dreaming, planning, and now preparing for the huge change that is going to be happening in just three days. A quick note- our house was built in the early 60's, and the original kitchen is still in place! YUCK! I hate tile counter tops, no dishwasher (until last year...portable), filthy cabinets, and a tan fridge, older then me. Not to mention the lovely color-scheme of browns, white and light blue--no, I'm not kidding. There are plumbing spicots in the middle of my kitchen where a washing machine used to sit. I will post a picture...... when my kitchen is clean. Yes, its about time for an update.

Now, with me being sick, and mostly just being a mommy to five very little children, getting around to packing up my kitchen, rearranging the office for the "temporary kitchen set-up" and the demo of the cabinets had yet to happen. Yesterday, after I had begun feeling a little better, I began the office clear out, rearranging some large furniture, and packing up a little out of our cabinets. So now we have a table and chairs, a microwave and a toaster in the office. There is a fridge in my family room, and all our DVDS and bookshelves had to move back to our bedroom. Yes, quite a feat if I say so myself! I moved everything by myself, with the help of Aubrey....and yes, she is only four. She is actually quite strong, something I already knew, but she made it very clear yesterday while pushing a seven foot tall bookshelf down the hallway.

What seems to happen when remodeling, is that EVERYTHING is an absolute disaster now. My office, which has NEVER been particularly clean, is now impossibly unclean. I am planning on working on it today, so we have some more space to put all my boxes of kitchen stuff. After I get that done, I will keep packing up the stuff in the cabinets, and hopefully start demolition on Friday. We will see....

We are then heading down to Mesa for a quick visit, and to pick up my future kitchen. We are taking a very large dump trailer, and a truck so we have the space to put everything. We are getting a flat top, nice range with double oven, and a white fridge that actually has shelves in the door! I am super, SUPER excited to see an update for my kitchen. David and I have been out shopping last weekend at Lowe's and Home Depot for our counter tops and a built-in dishwasher. We also shopped for flooring and a back splash. It is really fun to see what is out there and let myself dream of the possibilities. Everything will be on a pretty tight budget, but at least I won't have a 50+ year old kitchen anymore!!!!!!!!!

More updates with pictures after I get the office and kitchen clean.

1 comment:

Stacie said...

Oh wow, that is quite an undertaking! I hope it all goes well, and I'm anxious to see pictures and get more updates. Good luck! Glad to hear you are starting to feel better....