Thursday, October 30, 2008

Perspective

THEN (2002):
I impatiently waited for the day that our first child and son would be born. I had dreams, hopes and envisioned a beautiful experience..... then, Nathan was born. OUCH, that hurt more then I thought it would =) .... and then he came home. And he cried, and cried, and CRIED. He was pretty colicky and literally cried everyday from about 6pm to midnight. I didn't know why, and I was a basket case! Motherhood gave me a great shock, and a large smack in the face. I was so stressed out dealing with a little someone that depended on me for EVERYTHING. I was worried sick about him, and couldn't imagine ever having a free second again. I was so wrapped up in one little baby, and always holding him, worrying about him, etc.


NOW (2008):
I had a very enjoyable evening last night with one child. David gave me the opportunity to go to a piano concert by Jon Schmidt with Emily. She is my three year old, and is such a joy. I felt so FREE! I only had ONE kid to keep track of!!!! What a relief and blessing it was. It was fun, and she was so fun. I relished every moment watching her dance to the music, clap her hands in joy, laugh out loud, and finally, cuddling up in my lap and falling asleep in my arms. I don't get the chance very often to just have ONE anymore. Having five very young, needy children makes the time with one so precious! In fact, I sat there at the piano concert, holding my one beautiful girl, crying into her hair, because I knew that she knew that I loved her..... individually and completly seperate from her siblings.


Now that I have the perspective of FIVE, I think that ONE is freeing and joyful, and E A S Y. Yet, I remember back just a few years ago, when ONE was stressful, life altering, and SO time consuming. And with that, I don't have the understanding of what 6, 7, or 10 for that matter would be like. Perspective is an amazing thing.

1 comment:

Stacie said...

Your thoughts are interesting and tender, but admittedly make me a little nervous for my future! Especially because some of my family has said that Jacob is an easy child...I guess I'm in for it for sure!