Friday, November 14, 2008

...the rest of the story

This afternoon my parents are coming to help us rebuild our kitchen. They were originally planning to help next week with the "final touches". Well, we are not even close to those kinds of touches yet! Here is a shot of my kitchen as of yesterday afternoon.We finished the plumbing (got rid of the hose bibs, and plumbed for the new icemaker!) and added some new firring stripes to the wall late into the evening, but that is about where it stands today.

We were not planning on such a tear down of the house, but after removing the tile backsplash, this is what we found on the entire wall behind the sink.....
Yes, that is mold. And the worst kind.... YUCK. So we proceeded to tear out that section of wall, only to later find that we had to tear out the WHOLE wall because the firring strips holding the sheetrock up were either so brittle from being 50+ years old, or being rotted out completly from sitting behind the lovely molded sheetrock. So now we are in the stage of reframing our house to hang new sheetrock.

I think that I have high hopes for this weekend. Probably too high! We have to remove three lights from the ceiling, patch them, and put a new box in for a new ceiling fan/light. (My dad is a pro at electical, so that is HIS job). We have to dismantle the smoke detector that has never worked and get a new one, in a different spot. I am also planning to get the sheetrock hung, taped, mudded, and textured. And possibly.... a few cabinets hung. =) We will see. I will take pictures and keep you posted.

We were originally planning on being completly done by Thanksgiving. With the help from my parents, and a good weekend with the kids dealt out to a few friends for babysitting we can focus hard on the task at hand and just might make it! Cross your fingers for us! Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

Stacie said...

Oh no, what a mess! Isn't it always that way, though...there is much more to be done than you ever could have been aware. I hope you get a lot done this weekend! I'm anxious to hear the progress.

We got our bathroom successfully demolished this morning with the help of a few friends. But that is the easy part...it's the rebuilding that I'm unsure of.

Good luck! It will all be worth it in the end for both of us, I hope. :o)