Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mom

I sang in a quartet during Relief Society today. It was a wonderful experience, and how I feel about my mom. It is entitled, "An Angel to Watch Over Me". Sorry about the spacing, I couldn't figure it out...

She watched by my cradle through long sleepless nights,
She taught me to pray as she knelt by my side,
She guarded my childhood and all through the years,
She echoed my laughter, she counted my tears.
In the arms of my mother I came to believe
that God sent an angel to watch over me.


She taught me the meaning of courage and faith,

She taught me to live with the Lord as my strength,

She taught me to follow the pathway he marked,

She guided my steps when the journey grew dark,

And I know there were dangers that I could not see,

But God sent an angel to watch over me.



She taught me to serve with a spirit that sings,

She taught me to seek after heavenly things,

Because of her love and her kindness and care,

Because of the place that I hold in her prayers,

And because of her goodness, I still believe

That God sent an angel to watch over me.



We thank you dear mothers for all that you are.

No softer a moonbeam, no brighter a star.

No stronger a mountain, more constant the sea,

Yes, God sent down angels to love you and me.

Blessed are we, you're an answer, and answer to prayer.

Deep in our hearts, you will always be there.


The song was written by Sally DeFord, with the last verse written by a wonderful woman, (who also happens to be my visiting teaching partner) Linda B. It was a great experience to sing with Amy, Sharnell and Tanya, Linda, and Wanda. They all are so talented, and lots of fun too!

I have two very wonderful mothers in my life. My very own mom, who is busy serving the Lord on her second mission in Nauvoo. She has always been a constant in my life, and I always feel safe with my mom. And my wonderful mother-in-law that loves me and my kids so very much. She always makes me feel relaxed, accepted, and at ease. And she also raised the son that I call my husband. I love these women so very much!

And then, of course, I have five little monkeys that call me 'mommy'. Without them I would not know the true meaning of love, patience, and sacrifice. You never truly understand what it is to be a mother, until you are one. I thank my Heavenly Father everyday for the privilege it is to raise His spirits here on earth and have the title "mother".

2 comments:

Stacie said...

Thanks for sharing this. Wish I could have heard you sing!

Amanda said...

You guys did a great job singing, I had to bite my tongue not to cry!